Sunday, 23 August 2026

Punching My Weight

 

The Queensbury rules we shouldn't bend

Learning the moves and how to defend

Bobbing and weaving while using the jab

Cutting in close uppercut like a stab


Battered and bruised but no longer in pain

Stepping out of the ring, sheltering from the rain

My Boxing career was once something of joy

Been punching my weight since I were a boy


A lethal left hook and right uppercut

Go down to the body, stay clear of the rut

Step sideways, back and raise those gloves high

Punch the back of the neck as he moves by


I've been sparring and learning how to be smart

Stamina training while pulling a cart

My strength is my gateway to winning the fight

My mind is my fortress and my guiding light


Battered and bruised but no longer in pain

Stepping out of the ring, sheltering from the rain

My Boxing career was once something of joy

Been punching my weight since I were a boy


Never before have I been beat

Least not by a punk from the street

He must have caught me with a lucky shot

My time must be up "How long have I got"?


Oh well I suppose I need to retire

I'm getting old  with less of the fire

That burned in my body, heart and soul

I achieved my desire my hope and my goal


Battered and bruised but no longer in pain

Stepping out of the ring, sheltering from the rain

My Boxing career was once something of joy

Been punching my weight since I were a boy


World champions need to know when to quit

Go to there corner and continue to sit

When that bell rings to usher your next round

Relax in the silence your heart has just found


Battered and bruised but no longer in pain

Stepping out of the ring, sheltering from the rain

When that bell rang to usher my final round

I relaxed in the silence and the heart I had found



No comments:

Post a Comment